Clear all

Building a glow Flybaby

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Ronald McKie
(@ronmckie)
Topic starter  

I was building a full-scale Flybaby when I lived in Colorado, but the recession hit and I had to move back to the SF bay area. I donated my kit to the school where I received my A&P certificate.

The opportunity came for me to obtain a Flybaby kit from SIG manufacturers. It was listed as an ARF but I have probably already put in 50 hours on it and it is still not done!

I have had my challenges mostly having to do with the engine. The kit is designed for gas, glow, or electric, but nostalgia got in the way and I decided to go the glow route. So... I had to learn what I could about glow and I purchased a K&B .61 from eBay.

How do I attach a needle valve extension to the existing needle valve? The cowling covers it completely.

I mostly fly relatively small electrics so with the Flybaby it has really large servos, so now I need to get a decent sized battery.

Getting the engine to run was a challenge and I think that I am now successful with that. Then came the engine modifications to fit it into the plane. Finally, that is done (I hope).

Fortunately the rest of the plane should be rather easy to complete so I hope to have it flying within a month or so. 

Topic Tags
Ronald McKie
(@ronmckie)
Topic starter  

Finally finished the plane. Looks awesome! Still have to check that the engine works, then we will be ready to FLY!

ReplyQuote
Share: