Powered Sailplanes  

RSS

ronmckie
(@ronmckie)
Active Member Registered
27/06/2019 8:51 pm  

Powered sailplanes come in many sizes and configurations. This is a discussion about them.

I have a  couple of them, an Eluna 1.5m PNP and a Radian XL 2.6. The Radian I have managed to catch some thermals with it and have managed several flights, the Eluna unfortunately only had one that ended rather abruptly (so sad).

W1WLH
(@w1wlh)
14/11/2019 9:40 pm  
Posted by: @ronmckie

Powered sailplanes come in many sizes and configurations. This is a discussion about them.

I have a  couple of them, an Eluna 1.5m PNP and a Radian XL 2.6. The Radian I have managed to catch some thermals with it and have managed several flights, the Eluna unfortunately only had one that ended rather abruptly (so sad).

Hello,

I'm a new member to IRCC so I've got a lot to learn about flying sailplanes at the club field.  I'm an intermediate skilled flyer and have been in the hobby for 60+ years.  My specialty is flying electric powered sailplanes, most of which are built by me from either a balsa kit or from plans.  My only foam sailplane is the MultiPlex Solius - a real favorite for me.  I have numerous other 2m sailplanes all of which I've built from balsa kits.  I enjoy building perhaps as much, if not more, than flying.  I have almost no experience with high starts since all of the electric powered aircraft in my hangar (16) are electric powered and are easily hand-launched.  When I was a much younger man I was into gas powered models since electrics weren't very popular at that point in time.  Today, however, things have changed and I'm loving it!

I look forward to exchanging ideas with other IRCC sailplane members and meeting and flying with you at the club field.

Regards,

Bill

ReplyQuote
ronmckie
(@ronmckie)
Active Member Registered
16/11/2019 8:17 am  

I am a relatively new flyer, and if you're at the next meeting, maybe we can meet up. I'll bring my Radian with me (have to dust it off!). I'm also into hand launch and slope flying. Looking for a good site for that.

Ron

ReplyQuote
W1WLH
(@w1wlh)
16/11/2019 8:24 pm  

@ronmckie

Hi Ron, 

I expect to be at the December club meeting.   Thanks for the reply.   I hope to start flying this coming week.  Only question I have at this time is where on the field sailplane flyers are expected to operate?  Thanks Bill

ReplyQuote
ronmckie
(@ronmckie)
Active Member Registered
18/11/2019 5:55 pm  

Sort of have to figure that out! Haven't met any others yet to see how they do it.

ReplyQuote
W1WLH
(@w1wlh)
18/11/2019 7:32 pm  
Posted by: @ronmckie

Sort of have to figure that out! Haven't met any others yet to see how they do it.

I'm sure someone at the field will let us know how/where we're to setup our field box and launch/land our sailplanes.  If I find out this week I'll post the information here on the forum.  I just arrived Lakeland today and am getting my winter home setup.  As soon as I'm done with that I'll be heading to the field for some flying.  My email address is:  w1wlh@earthlink.net if ya want to send me a message off the forum.

Bill

ReplyQuote
Share: